Definition of Kachin
1. Noun. Tibeto-Burman languages spoken in northernmost Burma and adjacent China and India.
Generic synonyms: Tibeto-burman, Tibeto-burman Language
Specialized synonyms: Chingpo, Jinghpaw, Jinghpo
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kachin Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kachin
Kachin (current term)
Literary usage of Kachin
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1892)
"Expeditions among the Kachin Tribes on the North-east Frontier of Upper Burma. Compiled by General JT WALKER, CB, FRS, ..."
2. The Province of Burma: A Report Prepared on Behalf of the University of Chicago by Alleyne Ireland (1907)
"The Notifications issued by the Lieutenant-Governor of Burma in regard to the Shan States, the Kachin Hills, and the Chin Notifications in regard to three ..."
3. The Pacification of Burma by Charles Haukes Todd Crosthwaite (1912)
"It was idle to expect that the influential Kachin chiefs would now come in. It was necessary to appoint a man to carry on the duties of the Myo-6k. ..."
4. Gazetteer of Upper Burma and the Shan States by James George Scott, John Percy Hardiman (1900)
"They probably would have extended much farther, if we had not annexed Upper Burma when we did, and indeed at the present moment there are isolated Kachin ..."
5. Tʻoung pao by Demiéville, Paul, Jan Julius Lodewijk Duyvendak, Henri Cordier, Paul Pelliot, Edouard Chavannes, Gustaaf Schlegel (1904)
"The basis of this chapter is the Kachin Gazetteer drawn up by Captains H, ... A Grammar of the Kachin language. Rangoon, Anglo- Burmese Mission Press, 1896, ..."
6. Baptist Missionary Magazine by American Baptist Foreign Mission Society (1897)
"... and hospital with good hard-wood posts, hewed rafters, and floor joists, bamboo flooring, matting siding of walls and thatch roofs. Kachin ENCAMP. ..."