Definition of Malaysia
1. Noun. A constitutional monarchy in southeastern Asia on Borneo and the Malay Peninsula; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1957.
Geographical relationships: Godown, Al-ma'unah, Islamic Community, Islamic Group, Jemaah Islamiyah, Ji, Malaysia Militant Group, Malaysian Mujahidin Group
Group relationships: Asean, Association Of Southeast Asian Nations
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Group relationships: Indochina, Indochinese Peninsula
Terms within: Capital Of Malaysia, Putrajaya, East Malaysia, West Malaysia
Member holonyms: Malay, Malayan, Malaysian
Derivative terms: Malayan, Malayan, Malaysian
Definition of Malaysia
1. Proper noun. A country in Southeast Asia. Official name: Malaysia. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Malaysia
1. A parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch in southeast asia, consisting of 11 states (west malaysia) on the malay peninsula and two states (east malaysia) on the island of borneo. It is also called the federation of malaysia. Its capital is kuala lumpur. Before 1963 it was the union of malaya. It reorganised in 1948 as the federation of malaya, becoming independent from british malaya in 1957 and becoming malaysia in 1963 as a federation of malaya, sabah, sarawak, and singapore (which seceded in 1965). The form malay- probably derives from the tamil malay, mountain, with reference to its geography. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Malaysia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Malaysia
Literary usage of Malaysia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pagan Races of the Malay Peninsulaby Walter William Skeat, Charles Otto Blagden by Walter William Skeat, Charles Otto Blagden (1906)
""Appendix" (vol. I, p. 627-716): Text of Semang songs collected in Kadah and Patani by W.W. Skeat."
2. Waging the Global War on Poverty: Strategies and Case Studies by Raundi Halvorson-Quevedo, Hartmut Schneider (2000)
"Furthermore, since Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak have different average cost of living and household sizes, ..."
3. Ageing and Long-Term Care: National Policies in the Asia-Pacific by David R. Phillips, Alfred C. M. Chan, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (2002)
"Malaysia has been experiencing improved health, longer life expectancy, low mortality as well as declining fertility. The combination of all of these has ..."
4. Bond Market Development in Asia by Oecd, OECD Staff (2001)
"CAPITAL MARKET DEVELOPMENT IN Malaysia by Mr. AH Abdul Kadir A. Macroeconomic Developments The shape of Malaysia's economy has changed significantly in the ..."
5. Capital, the State, and Labour: A Global Perspective by Juliet Schor, Jong-Il You (1995)
"... 1957, 1970 and 1980 194 6.2 Peninsular Malaysia: employment status by ethnicity, 1947 and 1980 196 6.3 Peninsular Malaysia: percentage distribution of ..."
6. A History of Asia and Oceanica by Samuel Griswold Goodrich, Juvenile Collection (Library of Congress) (1850)
"Malaysia. 1. UNDER the term Malay'sia, are comprehended those East India islands ... It is divided into the Asiatic Islands, or Malaysia, Australasia^ and ..."