Definition of Monroe Doctrine
1. Noun. An American foreign policy opposing interference in the western hemisphere from outside powers.
Monroe Doctrine Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Monroe Doctrine Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Monroe Doctrine
Literary usage of Monroe Doctrine
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1914)
"Monroe doctrine and the foreign policy of the United States in the western hemisphere. ... Pan-American diplomacy superseding the Monroe doctrine in Mexico. ..."
2. International Law: A Treatise by Lassa Oppenheim (1920)
"51-59 ; The Monroe Doctrine (1885); Moore, 11-38; ... Monroe Doctrine (1898); Petin, Lei of the American Society of Inter- (1900); Anderson in the ..."
3. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1914)
"THE PAN AMERICAN ORIGIN OF THE Monroe Doctrine So much has been written regarding the origin of the Monroe Doctrine and on the supposed effects of the ..."
4. James Monroe by Daniel Coit Gilman, John Franklin Jameson (1911)
"The Monroe Doctrine Abroad. G. Hosmer: DC Oilman on the Monroe Doctrine. ... JA Kasson : The Monroe Doctrine in 1881. North American Review, vol. 133, pp. ..."
5. Latin America and the United States by Graham Henry Stuart (1922)
"CHAPTER H THE Monroe Doctrine IN any discussion of the relations between the United States and Latin America the Monroe Doctrine must necessarily occupy a ..."
6. The American Historical Review by American historical association (1902)
"T ME Monroe Doctrine AND THE DOCTRINE OF PERMANENT INTEREST SOME years ago it was the pleasure of the writer to hear from the lips of one of the most ..."
7. American Ideals by Norman Foerster, William Whatley Pierson (1917)
"One of the most frequently advanced of these arguments is that the carrying out of the platform of the league would violate the so-called Monroe Doctrine. ..."
8. Select Documents Illustrative of the History of the United States, 1776-1861 by William MacDonald (1898)
"Monroe's Message enunciating the Monroe Doctrine December 2, 1823 THE triumph of Napoleon in Spain in 1808 was followed by a succession of revolts in the ..."