Definition of Oxydendrum
1. Noun. Sourwood.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Ericaceae, Family Ericaceae, Heath Family
Member holonyms: Oxydendrum Arboreum, Sorrel Tree, Sourwood, Titi
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Oxydendrum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oxydendrum
Literary usage of Oxydendrum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1917)
"S. Wood: Oxydendrum. SOUTHERNWOOD (Artemisia Abrotanum, which see for botanical account) is a European herb, aromatic, much branched, woody-stemmed, ..."
2. Contributions from the United States National Herbarium by United States National Herbarium, United States National Museum (1897)
"... consisting largely of small red maple (Acer rubrum), Oxydendrum arboreum, ... of small individuals of the deciduous trees, together with Oxydendrum, ..."
3. Pamphlets on Forestry in Pennsylvania (1914)
"GENUS DESCRIPTION—The Sour-wood is the noie representative of the genus Oxydendrum. Tin' word Oxydendrum means ncid troe, in allusion to the acid foliaire. ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord. Britton, Hon. Addison. Brown (1913)
"_ l 2 A monotypic genus of southeastern North America. i. Oxydendrum ... Oxydendrum arboreum DC. Prodr. 7: 601. 1839. A smooth-barked tree, ..."
5. The Tree Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Trees of North America by Julia Ellen Rogers (1905)
"It is hardy in warm- temperate regions, but requires shelter from the wind. It is also offered by dealers in red-flowered varieties. 4. Genus Oxydendrum, DC ..."
6. Pennsylvania Trees by Joseph Simon Illick, Pennsylvania Dept. of Forestry (1914)
"Oxydendrum arboreum, (Linnaeus) De Candolle. GENUS DESCRIPTION—Tbc Sour-wood is the sole representative of the genus Oxydendrum. ..."