Definition of Philaenus
1. Noun. A genus of Cercopidae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Cercopidae, Family Cercopidae
Member holonyms: Meadow Spittlebug, Philaenus Spumarius
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Philaenus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Philaenus
Literary usage of Philaenus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin by Maine Agricultural Experiment Station (1917)
"It is a little larger and more robust than Philaenus ... Philaenus spumarius L. A very abundant species in meadows and mixed vegetation, living on other ..."
2. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson. by Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Adgate Lipscomb, Albert Ellery Bergh (1905)
"'Junius Philaenus", 30, 31. Kean. RGH. 56. Kentucky Resolutions, 14. 15. King, William (Governor), 52. Kingsley. WV. 52. Kirkland, John Thornton. 43. ..."
3. The Histories of Polybius by Polybius, Friedrich Otto Hultsch, Evelyn Shirley Shuckburgh (1889)
"... he crushed the Carthaginians ; reduced the largest and fairest districts of Libya, from the Altars of Philaenus to the Pillars of Hercules, ..."
4. Biological Bulletin by Marine Biological Laboratory (Woods Hole, Mass.) (1915)
"Unfortunately only a few stages were found in this material, so TABLE I. Genus. Specie«. Reduced Chromosome Number. Philaenus spumarius 12 ..."