¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Rouen
1. any of a breed of domestic ducks [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rouen Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rouen
rouge et noir
Literary usage of Rouen
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"The Archbishop of Rouen bears the title of Primate of Normandy. Rouen, chief city of the Secunda Provincia Lugdunensis under Constantino, ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"A copy of the "Chroniques de Normandie", made at Rouen about 1450 for the aldermen and given to Colbert in 1082 for the royal library, is illustrated with ..."
3. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"The population of the six cantons of Rouen in 1881 was 105906, ... The importe landed at Rouen include cotton, wheat, maize, and petroleum from America ..."
4. The Works of Tennyson by Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, Hallam Tennyson Tennyson (1905)
"The siege of Rouen went on throughout the winter of 1591-2, the brilliant ... The King, who had been at Dieppe, returned to Rouen, and prosecuted the siege ..."
5. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Ernest Alfred Benians, Sir Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero (1905)
"The siege of Rouen went on throughout the winter of 1591—2, the brilliant ... The King, who had been at Dieppe, returned to Rouen, and prosecuted the siege ..."
6. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1891)
"This internecine warfare had greatly facilitated the English advance early in the year, and it now deprived Rouen of all assistance from outside. ..."