Definition of Stripings
1. striping [n] - See also: striping
Lexicographical Neighbors of Stripings
Literary usage of Stripings
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Horticulturist, and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste by Luther Tucker (1874)
"... in unmistakable terms ; and should we procure plants bearing these names, we should expect " star-spangled " flowers of uncertain streaks and stripings. ..."
2. Nature Versus Natural Selection: An Essay on Organic Evolution by Charles Clement Coe (1895)
"These characteristic stripings are entirely wanting in the eland of ... That the absence of stripings has accompanied a more desert and waterless, ..."
3. Not Paul, But Jesus by Jeremy Bentham (1823)
"As to the difference, if any, between the stripings and the beatings, ... Unfortunately, as to the stripings, which our translation speaks of, ..."
4. The Clothier and Furnisher (1894)
"THE dark green fabrics will be more prolific in the designs, and will be in rough and smooth and stripings and plaids galore. They will be single-breasted ..."
5. The Monist by Hegeler Institute (1898)
"in that they show rudiments of transversal stripings induced by the blackening of the ... These rudimentary transversal stripings are by other agencies ..."
6. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1903)
"The stripings on all animals are a characteristic, generally admitted to be useful in concealment from observation, as the vertical stripes on the zebra, ..."
7. Concealing-coloration in the Animal Kingdom: An Exposition of the Laws of by Gerald Handerson Thayer, Abbott Handerson Thayer (1909)
"All these devices, especially the barrings and stripings, are, at a little distance, effective bark-pictures. The pattern of the small Northern Creepers ..."
8. The natural history of Oxford-shire: Being an Essay Toward the Natural by Robert Plot (1705)
"Moreover, that fuch Stripings are nothing but 2)if- eafe, appears plainly in that molt, ... and fuch Stripings to be only ..."