Definition of Thailand
1. Noun. A country of southeastern Asia that extends southward along the Isthmus of Kra to the Malay Peninsula. "Thailand is the official name of the former Siam"
Geographical relationships: Sino-tibetan, Sino-tibetan Language
Group relationships: Asean, Association Of Southeast Asian Nations
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Group relationships: Indochina, Indochinese Peninsula, Malay Peninsula
Terms within: Bangkok, Capital Of Thailand, Krung Thep, Chao Phraya, Mekong, Mekong River, Nan, Nan River, Ping, Ping River
Member holonyms: Siamese, Tai, Thai
Definition of Thailand
1. Proper noun. Country in Southeast Asia. Official name: Kingdom of Thailand. Its capital is Bangkok. Former name: Siam. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Thailand Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Thailand
Literary usage of Thailand
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Migration and the Labour Market in Asia: Recent Trends and Policies by Nihon Rōdō Kyōkai, Japan Institute of Labour (2003)
"The first one is the Communication Authority of Thailand (CAT) monopoly on the ... As indicated by the IMD's survey (2001), Thailand ranked the lowest among ..."
2. Ageing and Long-Term Care: National Policies in the Asia-Pacific by David R. Phillips, Alfred C. M. Chan, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (2002)
"Hence, it is imperative that Thailand has a well-prepared national policy and ... This chapter begins with an overview of the ageing situation in Thailand, ..."
3. Living Buddhist Masters by Jack Kornfield (1998)
"Out of thousands of monasteries in Thailand, several hundred are particularly concerned ... Buddhism in Burma is perhaps stronger than Buddhism in Thailand. ..."
4. Agricultural Expansion and Pioneer Settlements in the Humid Tropics by Walther Manshard, William B. Morgan (1988)
"The areas selected for the studies are in the north-east and south-east regions of Thailand (see fig. 1). The area in the north-east is called Ban Sarn Chao ..."
5. Towards Asia's Sustainable Development: The Role of Social Protection by Oecd (2002)
"In the years leading up to economic crisis, many social reform programmes were gaining momentum in Thailand. Due to the crisis, one of the most serious ..."