Definition of Theraphosidae
1. Noun. Large tropical spiders; tarantulas.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Araneae, Araneida, Order Araneae, Order Araneida
Member holonyms: Tarantula
Lexicographical Neighbors of Theraphosidae
Literary usage of Theraphosidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1895)
"The Theridiidae were in the hands of the lite Count Key- serling, and about thirty of his species have their types in this collection The Theraphosidae have ..."
2. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1897)
"On the Theraphosidae of the Lower Amazons: being an account of the new genera and species of this group of spiders discovered during the expedition of the ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"MYGALE, the technical and book-name of the Theraphosidae a species of trap-door spider (Mygalf avicularia) which has been known to catch small birds and ..."
4. International Catalogue of Scientific Literatureby Royal Society (Great Britain) by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1905)
"10920 Purcell, WF On the South African Theraphosidae or "Baviaan " spiders in the collection of the South African Museum. Cape Town, Trans. ..."
5. Psyche by Cambridge Entomological Club (1893)
"... and also four respiratory sacs like the Theraphosidae. These specimens were collected by Miss Mary T. Palmer at Manitou, Col. Mr. Emerton also made some ..."
6. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington by Entomological Society of Washington (1902)
"... (Theraphosidae) also have a curved hook at the same place. These projections are probably of use in holding the female. The mandibles of the male of ..."