Definition of Abductor muscle
1. Noun. A muscle that draws a body part away from the median line.
Generic synonyms: Skeletal Muscle, Striated Muscle
Specialized synonyms: Musculus Abductor Digiti Minimi Manus, Musculus Abductor Digiti Minimi Pedis, Musculus Abductor Hallucis, Musculus Abductor Pollicis
Derivative terms: Abduct
Medical Definition of Abductor muscle
Abductor Muscle Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Abductor Muscle Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Abductor Muscle
Literary usage of Abductor muscle
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Animal and Vegetable Physiology: Considered with Reference to Natural Theology by Peter Mark Roget (1836)
"... abductor muscle ..."
2. Steno on Muscles by Kardel, Troels (1994)
"The smaller figure displays a compound Order of fibers in an abductor muscle. There, CD, the tendon inside the flesh, is inserted into the mobile part. ..."
3. The Comparative anatomy of the domesticated animals by Auguste Chauveau (1887)
"To study tlie short abductor muscle, it is only necessary to cut the long abductor ... and Inni; abductor muscle of tlie arm; leaving only the strip which ..."
4. Entomologia Edinensis: Or A Description and History of the Insects Found in by James Wilson, James Duncan (1834)
"... (or upper ganglion), is either encompassed by a little circular trachea, or traverses the fibres of the abductor muscle of the mandibles. ..."
5. Practical remarks on the new operation for the cure of strabismus or squinting by Edward Wilson Duffin (1840)
"... more or less permanent, of the adductor, or loss of power in the abductor muscle. I have not met with a single case of congenital strabismus, though, ..."
6. A Laboratory Manual of Human Anatomy by Lewellys Franklin Barker, Dean De Witt Lewis, Daniel Graisberry Revell (1904)
"Study carefully the form, position, origin, insertion, action, and innervation of each of the following muscles : (a) Short abductor muscle of thumb (M. ..."
7. New analytic anatomy, physiology and hygiene by Calvin Cutter (1872)
"38, 39, Small flexor muscles of the thumb. 40, The abductor muscle of the little finger. ... 60, The abductor muscle of the great toe. ..."