Definition of Act as
1. Verb. Function as or act like. "This heap of stones will act as a barrier"
2. Verb. Pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind. "She plays deaf when the news are bad"
Generic synonyms: Act, Behave, Do
Related verbs: Act, Behave, Do, Act, Play, Represent
Derivative terms: Act
Act As Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Act As Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Act As
Literary usage of Act as
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1911)
"To amend the antitrust act, as suggested by this bill, would be to entirely emasculate it, ... The act as it exists is clear, comprehensive, certain, ..."
2. The Constitution of the United States of America: With an Alphabetical by William Hickey, United States (1854)
"AN ACT relative to the election of a President and Vice President of the United States, and declaring the officer who shall act as President in cases of ..."
3. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1920)
"235, held, that such bonds are not subject to restrictions in the general act as to their issuance. Appeal from Superior Court, Surry County; McElroy, ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1885)
"... because the subject of said 5th section is not expressed in the title of the Act, as required by the 32d section, 4th article of the Constitution of ..."