Definition of Alabama
1. Noun. A state in the southeastern United States on the Gulf of Mexico; one of the Confederate states during the American Civil War.
Geographical relationships: Battle Of Chickamauga, Chickamauga
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa, Gulf States, Deep South
Group relationships: Confederacy, Confederate States, Confederate States Of America, Dixie, Dixieland, South
Generic synonyms: South
Terms within: Capital Of Alabama, Montgomery, Birmingham, Pittsburgh Of The South, Decatur, Gadsden, Huntsville, Mobile, Selma, Tuscaloosa, Tuskegee, Alabama River, Coosa, Coosa River, Mobile, Mobile River, Mobile Bay, Tallapoosa, Tallapoosa River, Tombigbee, Tombigbee River
2. Noun. A member of the Muskhogean people formerly living in what is now the state of Alabama. "The Alabamas were members of the Creek Confederacy"
3. Noun. A river in Alabama formed by the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers near Montgomery; flows southwestward to become a tributary of the Mobile River.
Group relationships: Al, Camellia State, Heart Of Dixie
Generic synonyms: River
4. Noun. The Muskhogean language of the Alabama.
Definition of Alabama
1. Proper noun. A state of the United States of America (postal abbreviation AL) in the south-eastern United States with its capital at Montgomery, and Birmingham as its largest city. ¹
2. Proper noun. The (w Alabama River), which runs through the state of Alabama. ¹
3. Proper noun. A Native American tribe originally from central Alabama. ¹
4. Proper noun. The language of the Alabama Nation. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alabama Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alabama
Literary usage of Alabama
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1904)
"trict of Georgia, and in appellate courte, in the foreclosure of a trust deed executed by the alabama & Georgia Manufacturing Company. ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"After this, De Soto made his way westward to the Mississippi River, and alabama was undisturbed by the white men for 160 years. ..."
3. The Constitution of the United States of America by William Hickey, United States (1853)
"alabama, Formed out of a part of the territory ceded to the United States by the States of South Carolina and Georgia. (See remarks under the head ..."
4. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1910)
"obligation of a contract between the plaintiff and the state of alabama, ... That, in conformity with the laws of the state of alabama, on July 16, 1894, ..."