Definition of Allium cepa
1. Noun. Bulbous plant having hollow leaves cultivated worldwide for its rounded edible bulb.
Generic synonyms: Alliaceous Plant
Terms within: Onion
Specialized synonyms: Allium Ascalonicum, Allium Cepa Aggregatum, Eschalot, Multiplier Onion, Shallot, Allium Cepa Viviparum, Egyptian Onion, Top Onion, Tree Onion, Allium Fistulosum, Japanese Leek, Welsh Onion, Allium Haematochiton, Red-skinned Onion
Terms within: Isothiocyanate
Lexicographical Neighbors of Allium Cepa
Literary usage of Allium cepa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New York Journal of Medicine by Samuel Smith Purple, Charles Alfred Lee, Henry Daggett Bulkley, Samuel Forry, Stephen Smith (1855)
"RORER,MD, of Germantown, has favored us with a communication in which he extols the efficacy of a paste made of the allium cepa in arresting atonic ..."
2. Medicinal Plants: Being Descriptions with Original Figures of the Principal ...by Robert Bentley, Henry Trimen by Robert Bentley, Henry Trimen (1880)
"The bulbs of other species of Allium, more especially allium cepa, the Onion, have similar properties to those of garlic, but milder. ..."
3. Handbook of Practical Botany for the Botanical Laboratory and Private Student by Eduard Strasburger (1887)
"Cross-section of the base of a strong adventitious root of allium cepa. c, cortex; e, endodermis; p, ..."
4. A Manual of pharmacodynamics by Richard Hughes (1899)
"X. i LECTURE XII, allium cepa AND SATIVUM, ALOES, ALUMEN, ALUMINA, AMBRA, ... We prepare the rs V( • allium cepa by making a tincture from the mature bulb ..."
5. The British flora medica: a history of the medicinal plants of Great Britain by Benjamin Herbert Barton, Thomas Castle (1877)
"... have long lost their medicinal reputation, notwithstanding the praises of Dioscorides and other ancient authors. CXLI. allium cepa, L. ONION. Nat. ..."