Definition of Amplexicaul leaf
1. Noun. A leaf with its base clasping the stem.
Amplexicaul Leaf Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Amplexicaul Leaf Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Amplexicaul Leaf
Literary usage of Amplexicaul leaf
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Class-book of Botany: Designed for Colleges, Academies, and Other by Alphonso Wood (1869)
"... when the base lobes of an amplexicaul leaf are united together, so that the stem appears to pass through th« leaf. 3. Decurrent, when the base lobes of ..."
2. Class-book of Botany: Being Outlines of the Structure, Physiology, and by Alphonso Wood (1869)
"... when the base lobes of an amplexicaul leaf are united together, so that the stem appears to pass through the leaf. 3. Decurrent, when the base lobes of ..."
3. Lessons in Elementary Botany: The Part of Systematic Botany Based Upon by Daniel Oliver, John Stevens Henslow (1895)
"... base of an amplexicaul leaf be united together on the side of the stem opposite to the midrib, so that the stem appears to piss through the blade, ..."
4. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Eberhard Goebel (1905)
"This side grows more strongly, whilst the amplexicaul leaf-base, which at first is very small, develops by intercalary growth gradually into the leaf-sheath ..."
5. Henderson's Handbook of Plants and General Horticulture \ by Peter Henderson (1910)
"When the two basal lobes of an amplexicaul leaf are united together, the leaf completely surrounding the stem, so that the stem seems to pass through the ..."