Definition of Andes
1. Noun. A mountain range in South America running 5000 miles along the Pacific coast.
Terms within: Aconcagua, Ancohuma, Bonete, Cachi, Chimborazo, Coropuna, El Libertador, El Muerto, Galan, Huascaran, Illampu, Illimani, Laudo, Llullaillaco, Mercedario, Nacimiento, Ojos Del Salado, Pissis, Sajama, Tupungato, Yerupaja
Generic synonyms: Chain, Chain Of Mountains, Mountain Chain, Mountain Range, Range, Range Of Mountains
Derivative terms: Andean
Definition of Andes
1. Proper noun. A mountain range in western South America. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Andes
Literary usage of Andes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"The east- :rn chain of the andes of Colombia preserves ts parallelism with the other two for a considerable distance; but beyond Tunja, in lat. ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The Cordillera of the andes borders the Puna to the west, while the Bolivian Cordillera ... are the highest peaks of the central Argentine-Chilean andes. ..."
3. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"From about 18° the andes, like the coast, runs north-west, so that whereas in about 18° S. the crest of the western Cordillera is in 70°W. long., ..."
4. South America: Observations and Impressions by James Bryce Bryce (1912)
"San Martin, screened by the andes, had from his position at Mendoza so skilfully contrived to deceive and perplex the commander of the Spanish army in Chile ..."
5. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1892)
"Dr. G. Wegener read a report upon the International Geographical Exhibition at Bern. Dr. WOLF ON TUE HIGH andes OF ECUADOR ..."