Definition of Anguilla
1. Noun. A British colony in the West Indies.
2. Noun. Type genus of the Anguillidae: eels.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Anguillidae, Family Anguillidae
Member holonyms: Common Eel, Freshwater Eel
Definition of Anguilla
1. Proper noun. a British overseas territory in the Caribbean ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Anguilla Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Anguilla
Literary usage of Anguilla
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"STORER, Synopsis, 486, and of some Western writers. anguilla ... anguilla tacana, КАИР, 1 с. 4">—GÜNTHER, Cat. Fishes, viii, 32. anguilla ..."
2. St. Martin and St. Barts Alive! by Harriet Greenberg (2003)
"anguilla A Daytrip or Weekend Getaway Eating dinner at a restaurant in ... It's anguilla, five miles north of St. Martin and the most northerly of the ..."
3. Synopsis of the Fishes of North America by David Starr Jordan, Charles Henry Gilbert (1883)
"Stockh. about 1791: type Marcena anguilla L.) Body elongate, ... Î texana Kaup, from the Gulf of Mexico is d by it» thicker lips: anguilla texana Kanp, ..."
4. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"This genus has been successively separated into five or six genera, which we are compelled to subdivide still more.(l) anguilla, Thunb. and Shaw. ..."
5. Investigations of the Aquatic Resources and Fisheries of Porto Rico by United States Bureau of Fisheries, Barton Warren Evermann, Millard Caleb Marsh, William A. Wilcox (1900)
"anguilla Shaw. Body elongate, compressed In-hind, covered with embedded linear scales placed ... Month. Mag. and Crit. Rev. 1817, 120, Long Island. anguilla ..."
6. Four Years' Residence in the West Indies, During the Years 1826, 7, 8, and 9 by Frederic William Naylor Bayley (1833)
"anguilla BARBUDA NEVIS AND MONTSERRAT. " Before we take leave of the British Leeward Islands, it is " proper to give some account of the appendages to the ..."
7. Best Dives of the Caribbean by Joyce Huber (2006)
"anguilla The island of anguilla (pronounced Ann-GWIL-A) is one of the Caribbean's best-kept secrets. Though sailing buffs have enjoyed its secluded bays and ..."