Definition of Anthus
1. Noun. Pipits.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Motacillidae, Motacillidae
Member holonyms: Lark, Pipit, Titlark
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Anthus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Anthus
Literary usage of Anthus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1885)
"anthus butleri, Shelley, PZS 1882, p. 330, pi. 18 ; Butler, Feilden, p. ... Foot of anthus chloris. Hind daw short and nearly straight, shorter than hind ..."
2. A History of the Birds of Europe: Including All the Species Inhabiting the ...by Henry Eeles Dresser, Richard Bowdler Sharpe by Henry Eeles Dresser, Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1881)
"anthus macronyx iii. 325. maculatus iii. 317. major iii. ... anthus pratensis japonicus iii. 331. pratensis nubicus iii. 299. pratorum , iii. ..."
3. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1888)
"In the volume on Birds in the ' Voyage of the Beagle,' it is said that a species of anthus ranges further south than any other land-bird, being the only ..."
4. The Birds of America by John James] [Audubon (1841)
"The flowers are green and purple, and the roots are used by the Indians as a remely for colic. GENUS IL—anthus ..."
5. British Song Birds: Being Popular Descriptions and Anecdotes of the by Neville Wood (1836)
"I AM informed, on the authority of that acute Ornithologist Mr. BLYTH, that the Rock Pipit of Britain is wholly distinct from the anthus aquaticus of ..."