Definition of Aphriza virgata
1. Noun. Sandpiper-like shorebird of Pacific coasts of North America and South America.
Generic synonyms: Limicoline Bird, Shore Bird, Shorebird
Group relationships: Aphriza, Genus Aphriza
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aphriza Virgata
Literary usage of Aphriza virgata
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"Range.—Pacific coast of America, from Alaska to Chile. (Mono- typic.) APHRIZA VIRGATA (Gmelin). SURF BIRD. Adults in breeding plumage ..."
2. Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1891)
"In November 1885 I received from Dr Thomas H. Streets, US Navy, a very excellent skeleton of aphriza virgata, he having kindly collected it for me in Alaska ..."
3. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"aphriza virgata (Gmd.). SURF BIRD. Arenaria, p.- Base of tail, upper coverts, and a broad bar on whig white. Adults in summer: upper parts, head, neck, ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1871)
"Platalea ajaja Linn. This specimen was obtained of Dr. Trudeau. It was shot on tlie plantation of his father near Charleston, SC aphriza virgata Gm. TYPE of ..."
5. The Popular Science Monthly (1889)
"... only one specimen is known to naturalists; and the other being " On the Affinities of aphriza virgata," the popular name of which is the surf-bird. ..."