Definition of Aplectrum
1. Noun. A monocotyledonous genus of the family Orchidaceae.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Adam-and-eve, Aplectrum Hyemale, Puttyroot
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aplectrum
Literary usage of Aplectrum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Our Native Orchids: A Series of Drawings from Nature of All the Species by William Hamilton Gibson, Helena Dewey Leeming Jelliffe (1905)
"THE aplectrum or "Spurless" Orchis, as its Greek name signifies, is one of those plants that has become familiar to the natives of a place because of some ..."
2. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1904)
"putting the species again into the subgenus aplectrum. Apparently the first use of aplectrum as a generic name was by Torrey in 1826, although two ..."
3. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1896)
"aplectrum Nutt. Gen. 2: 197. 1818. Scapose herbs, from a corm, produced from the one of the ... aplectrum hyemale Nutt. Gen. 2: 198. 1818. aplectrum ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1876)
"Early in April, 1876, in transplanting some aplectrum hyemale Nutt., from the woods northwest of Detroit, I found two adjoining plants of this species ..."
5. Botany by Geological Survey of California, William Henry Brewer, Sereno Watson, Asa Gray (1880)
"Our species without green herbage (a single green radical leaf in aplectrum and Calypso). Flowers pedicellate. I. Calypso. Scape 1-flowered, from a solid ..."