Definition of Arachnoid membrane
1. Noun. The middle of the 3 meninges.
Medical Definition of Arachnoid membrane
1. Like a cobweb, covered with or consisting of soft fibres or hairs so entangled as to give a cobwebby appearance. (09 Oct 1997)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arachnoid Membrane
Literary usage of Arachnoid membrane
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anatomy, Descriptive and Surgical by Henry Gray (1893)
"This secretion is sufficient in amount to expand the arachnoid membrane, so as to completely fill up the whole of the space included in the dura mater. ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General (1890)
"... free inner surface Between the which the arteries of the brain and spinal cord ramify and mater and the subjacent arachnoid membrane is a fine subdivide ..."
3. Quain's Elements of Anatomy by Jones Quain, Edward Albert Sharpey-Schäfer, George Dancer Thane, Johnson Symington (1893)
"THE arachnoid membrane. The arachnoid is a delicate membrane which is situated outside the pia mater, and invests the brain and spinal cord much less ..."
4. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1849)
"The arachnoid membrane was thickened and opaque, where it covers the anterior ... In several instances, it projected from the arachnoid membrane into the ..."
5. The Dublin dissector or Manual of anatomy by Robert Harrison (1854)
"The arachnoid membrane covers the whole surface of the brain, and is thence reflected to the dura mater, which it lines throughout, except at the sella ..."
6. The Microscopic anatomy of the human body, in health and disease ... v.2 by Arthur Hill Hassall (1855)
"On the Ganglionic Character of the arachnoid membrane. The-following extracts contain the more important portions of Mr. Rainey's observations "on the ..."
7. The Modern Horse Doctor: Containing Practical Observations on the Causes by George H. Dadd (1856)
"INFLAMMATION OF THE arachnoid membrane OF THE BRAIN. — (Arachnoiditis.) This membrane is situated between the dura and pia mater; the former is situated ..."