Definition of Armed combat
1. Noun. An engagement fought between two military forces.
Generic synonyms: Battle, Conflict, Engagement, Fight
Specialized synonyms: Belligerency, Hostilities, Trench Warfare, Aggression
Group relationships: War, Warfare
Category relationships: Armed Forces, Armed Services, Military, Military Machine, War Machine
Derivative terms: Combat
Lexicographical Neighbors of Armed Combat
Literary usage of Armed combat
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Culture of Violence by Kumar Rupesinghe (1994)
"... regarding internal armed conflicts Given the salience and intensity of internal armed combat and the extent to which civilians are victims of civil war, ..."
2. Military Geography for Professionals and the Public by John M. Collins (2000)
"armed combat lasted three years in Korea (1950-1953) without spreading to the mainland. Defensive actions against superior foes on peninsulas from which ..."
3. Are Military Adultery Standards Changing: Congressional Hearing edited by Sam Brownback (2000)
"... enlisted women don't want life in the foxholes because they know that armed combat maximizes the hazard of any physical disadvantage, and they wouldn't ..."
4. Dust Off: Army Aeromedical Evacuation in Vietnam by Peter Dorland, James S. Nanney (1982)
"Because of the shortage of Army aviators and the priority of armed combat support, the Medical Service Corps did not have enough pilots to staff another ..."
5. War Without Quarter: Colombia and International Humanitarian Law by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch (Organization (1998)
"24 had engaged in armed combat with the UC- ELN.173 The army continues to report the two as guerrillas killed in combat.174 Antonio Angarita and Carmen ..."
6. History of the French Revolution of 1848 by Alphonse de Lamartine (1891)
"... and that of the ministry of the interior, were, it was said, the head-quarters of two opinions, which would before long enter into armed combat. ..."