Definition of Armor plate
1. Noun. Specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire.
Specialized synonyms: Backplate, Beaver, Brassard, Aegis, Breastplate, Egis, Cannon, Chamfron, Chanfron, Front-stall, Frontstall, Testiere, Cubitiere, Cuisse, Epauliere, Fauld, Gorget, Greave, Jambeau, Helmet, Knee Piece, Nosepiece, Palette, Pallette, Roundel, Skirt Of Tasses, Sabaton, Solleret, Tasse, Tasset, Tuille, Visor, Vizor
Generic synonyms: Plate, Scale, Shell
Lexicographical Neighbors of Armor Plate
Literary usage of Armor plate
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the United States Naval Institute by United States Naval Institute (1901)
"The second test of the 6-inch Krupp armor plate designed for the battleship Maine occurred June n at the Indian Head Proving Ground. ..."
2. The United States Steel Corporation: A Study of the Growth and Influence of by Abraham Berglund (1907)
"Allusion has already been made to the contract entered into in 1904 by the Bethlehem Steel Company for the sale of 1500 tons of armor plate to the Russian ..."
3. The Autobiography of John Fritz by John Fritz (1911)
"SOON after our Civil War I gave the subject of armor plate much thought. ... In addition to armor plate, I had given guns, forgings, and large shafting much ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1904)
"L The alleged Invalidity of the patent for the Harvey procesa of treating armor plate cannot be set op by the United States as a défense to a suit for the ..."
5. The Annual of Scientific Discovery, Or, Year-book of Facts in Science and Art by David Ames Wells, George Bliss, Samuel Kneeland, John Trowbridge, Charles Robert Cross (1863)
"It penetrated the armor-plate, making a hole twelve inches in diameter, and, crushing through the teak backing, burst the ship's skin-plate open, ..."