Definition of Athene noctua
1. Noun. Small European owl.
Generic synonyms: Bird Of Minerva, Bird Of Night, Hooter, Owl
Group relationships: Athene, Genus Athene
Lexicographical Neighbors of Athene Noctua
Literary usage of Athene noctua
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Specimens and Drawings of Mammalia, Birds, Reptiles and by British Museum, Brian Houghton Hodgson (1863)
"... Ч' athene noctua, p., ?Ж Cat,, of B. р. 39. . 58. ATHENE SCUTELLATA, Cerf. ... athene noctua ..."
2. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1848)
"Presented by the Hudson's Bay Coin pany. 3. ATHENE. Noctua Sue. ... athene noctua G. Ii. Gray, List of Gen. of Birds, p. ..."
3. The Zoological Record ...: Being Records of Zoological Literature by Zoological Record Association (London, England), Zoological Society of London (1868)
"Turdus viscivorus, athene noctua ... On Plate I. of this work eggs of the following are figured :— Scops sorca (2), athene noctua (2), Strix flammea (2), ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1905)
"This little owl was plainly related to a species, athene noctua, common in this region, but it differed in having 'the tone and the pattern or style of the ..."