Definition of Azores
1. Noun. Islands in the Atlantic Ocean belonging to Portugal. "The Azores are strategically located on transatlantic air and shipping routes"
Definition of Azores
1. Proper noun. An archipelago of nine volcanic islands in the North Atlantic, an autonomous region of Portugal. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Azores
1. A group of nine islands and several islets belonging to portugal in the north atlantic ocean off the coast of portugal. The islands are named after the acores, the portuguese for goshawks, living there in abundance. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Azores Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Azores
Literary usage of Azores
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1902)
"The Alcyonaria from the azores are increased from six to twenty-nine, ... Six species found at the azores have been taken in the West Indies or off the ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1910)
"The matter is easy, because the steamship route between Barbadoes and the azores crosses the area diagonally and passes very near the center. ..."
3. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society by Royal Meteorological Society (Great Britain) (1883)
"The depressions which cross over the azores, or slightly to the North of these islands, are less frequent than those passing in higher latitudes ; there are ..."
4. Report of the Annual Meeting (1872)
"On the Importance of the azores as a Meteorological Station. ... After pointing out the very important position occupied by the azores, as illustrated by ..."
5. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1888)
"The expedition is known as the Islands' or azores' Voyage. ... An attack on the azores was resolved upon. Essex, deeming himself too weak to attempt the ..."