Definition of Ball
1. Noun. Round object that is hit or thrown or kicked in games. "The ball rolled into the corner pocket"
Generic synonyms: Game Equipment
2. Verb. Form into a ball by winding or rolling. "Ball wool"
3. Noun. A solid projectile that is shot by a musket. "They had to carry a ramrod as well as powder and ball"
4. Noun. An object with a spherical shape. "A ball of fire"
Specialized synonyms: Crystal Ball, Camphor Ball, Mothball, Time-ball, Fireball, Fireball, Globule, Spherule, Pellet, Bolus
Generic synonyms: Sphere
Derivative terms: Conglobate, Global, Globular
5. Noun. The people assembled at a lavish formal dance. "The ball was already emptying out before the fire alarm sounded"
6. Noun. One of the two male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens. "She kicked him in the balls and got away"
Terms within: Arteria Testicularis, Internal Spermatic Artery, Testicular Artery, Testicular Vein, Vena Testicularis, Seminiferous Tubule, Epididymis, Rete Testis, Ductus Deferens, Vas Deferens, Spermatic Cord
Group relationships: Male Reproductive System, Family Jewels, Male Genital Organ, Male Genitalia, Male Genitals
Generic synonyms: Gonad, Sex Gland, Male Reproductive Gland
Specialized synonyms: Cobblers, Undescended Testicle, Undescended Testis
Derivative terms: Testicular
7. Noun. A spherical object used as a plaything. "He played with his rubber ball in the bathtub"
8. Noun. United States comedienne best known as the star of a popular television program (1911-1989).
9. Noun. A compact mass. "A ball of mud caught him on the shoulder"
Specialized synonyms: Clot, Coagulum, Gob, Clew
Generic synonyms: Agglomeration
Derivative terms: Chunk, Chunky, Lumpy
10. Noun. A lavish dance requiring formal attire.
Generic synonyms: Dance
Specialized synonyms: Cotilion, Cotillion, Fancy-dress Ball, Masked Ball, Masquerade Ball, Prom, Promenade
11. Noun. A more or less rounded anatomical body or mass. "He stood on the balls of his feet"
Group relationships: Hand, Manus, Mitt, Paw, Sole
12. Noun. The game of baseball.
13. Noun. A pitch that is not in the strike zone. "He threw nine straight balls before the manager yanked him"
Definition of Ball
1. n. Any round or roundish body or mass; a sphere or globe; as, a ball of twine; a ball of snow.
2. v. i. To gather balls which cling to the feet, as of damp snow or clay; to gather into balls; as, the horse balls; the snow balls.
3. v. t. To heat in a furnace and form into balls for rolling.
4. n. A social assembly for the purpose of dancing.
5. n. A pitched ball, not struck at by the batsman, which fails to pass over the home base at a height not greater than the batsman's shoulder nor less than his knee.
Definition of Ball
1. Proper noun. (surname) ¹
2. Noun. A solid or hollow sphere. ¹
3. Noun. An object, generally spherical, used for playing games. ¹
4. Noun. A quantity of string, thread, etc., wound into a spherical shape. ¹
5. Noun. Any simple game involving a ball. ¹
6. Noun. (baseball) A pitch that falls outside of the strike zone. ¹
7. Noun. (context: pinball) An opportunity to launch the pinball into play. ¹
8. Noun. (context: ballistics) A solid, spherical nonexplosive missile for a cannon, etc. ¹
9. Noun. (context: ballistics) A jacketed non-expanding bullet, typically of military origin. ¹
10. Noun. (mathematics) The set of points in a metric space lying within a given distance (the radius) of a given point; specifically, the homologue of the disk in a Euclidean space of any number of dimensions. ¹
11. Noun. (mathematics more generally) The set of points in a topological space lying within some open set containing a given point; the analogue of the disk in a Euclidean space. ¹
12. Noun. (context: mildly vulgar slang usually in plural) A testicle. ¹
13. Noun. (cricket) A single delivery by the bowler, six of which make up an over. ¹
14. Noun. (soccer) A pass; a kick of the football towards a teammate. ¹
15. Noun. (anatomy) The front of the bottom of the foot, just behind the toes. ¹
16. Verb. (transitive vulgar) To have sexual intercourse with. ¹
17. Verb. (slang usually in present participle) To be hip or cool. ¹
18. Interjection. (Australian rules football) An appeal by the crowd for holding the ball against a tackled player. This is heard almost any time an opposition player is tackled, without regard to whether the rules about "prior opportunity" to dispose of the ball are fulfilled. ¹
19. Noun. A formal dance. ¹
20. Noun. (informal) A very enjoyable time. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Ball
1. to form into a ball (a spherical object) [v -ED, -ING, -S]
Medical Definition of Ball
1. Any round or roundish body or mass; a sphere or globe; as, a ball of twine; a ball of snow.
2. A spherical body of any substance or size used to play with, as by throwing, knocking, kicking, etc.
3. A general name for games in which a ball is thrown, kicked, or knocked. See Baseball, and Football.
4. Any solid spherical, cylindrical, or conical projectile of lead or iron, to be discharged from a firearm; as, a cannon ball; a rife ball; often used collectively; as, powder and ball. Spherical balls for the smaller firearms are commonly called bullets.
5. A flaming, roundish body shot into the air; a case filled with combustibles intended to burst and give light or set fire, or to produce smoke or stench; as, a fire ball; a stink ball.
6. A leather-covered cushion, fastened to a handle called a ballstock; formerly used by printers for inking the form, but now superseded by the roller.
7. A roundish protuberant portion of some part of the body; as, the ball of the thumb; the ball of the foot.