Definition of Banana tree
1. Noun. Any of several tropical and subtropical treelike herbs of the genus Musa having a terminal crown of large entire leaves and usually bearing hanging clusters of elongated fruits.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Genus Musa, Musa
Specialized synonyms: Dwarf Banana, Musa Acuminata, Japanese Banana, Musa Basjoo, Musa Paradisiaca, Plantain, Plantain Tree, Edible Banana, Musa Paradisiaca Sapientum, Abaca, Manila Hemp, Musa Textilis
Banana Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Banana Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Banana Tree
Literary usage of Banana tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Homes of the New World: Impressions of America by Fredrika Bremer (1853)
"It has been attempted to transplant the banana-tree into the southern portion of North America, where so many trees from foreign climates flourish ; but the ..."
2. An Inglorious Columbus, Or, Evidence that Hwui Shăn and a Party of Buddhist by Edward Payson Vining (1885)
"... indicating pronunciation of foreign words — Examples — Change in Bound of Chinese characters — The pisang or banana tree — Names of countries terminated ..."
3. Three Years in the Pacific: Including Notices of Brazil, Chile, Bolivia, Peru by William Samuel Waithman Ruschenberger (1834)
"Museum—Aqueduct—banana tree—Farinha—Policemen—Slave of a naturalist—Casa da Agua. ... banana tree ..."
4. Come to the Secret Garden: Sufi Tales of Wisdom by M. R. Bawa Muhaiyaddeen (1985)
"Come and look closely at this banana tree. It looks like a hand, doesn't it? ... Do you know how a banana tree grows? When a young tree sprouts from the ..."