2. Proper noun. (trademark) A popular brand of fashion doll. ¹
3. Proper noun. (informal derogatory) Any stunningly beautiful but stupid or shallow young woman. ¹
4. Noun. (Australia New Zealand UK informal) Short form of barbecue. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Barbie
1. a portable fireplace for cooking [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Barbie Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Barbie
Literary usage of Barbie
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Works of William Shakespeare: The Plays Ed. from the Folio of MDCXXIII by William Shakespeare (1861)
"... by the Right Honourable the Earle of Pembrooke, the Earle of barbie, the Earle of Sussex, and the Lorde Chamberlaine theyr Seruants. ..."
2. Edinburgh Medical Journal (1884)
"... barbie, with a plate faithfully executed from a photograph. Dr Pooley reports a case of rupture of the choroid, with four illustrations. ..."
3. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People by Ephraim Chambers (1870)
"Near the middle of the island, the mountain Capresso (ancient Marpessa), abounds in the famous Parian barbie, which was used by many of the greatest ..."
4. A New General Biographical Dictionary by Hugh James Rose (1857)
"In 1401 he entered the service of Giovanni Bentivoglio, who, suspecting him of treachery, had his head cut off in the same year. barbie DU BOCAGE, the name ..."