Definition of Bartramia
1. Noun. A genus of Scolopacidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Scolopacidae, Scolopacidae
Member holonyms: Bartramia Longicauda, Bartramian Sandpiper, Upland Plover, Upland Sandpiper
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bartramia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bartramia
Literary usage of Bartramia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1803)
"Fruit-stalks erect, taller than the stems. Leaves lanceolate, revolute, single-ribbed, serrated towards the point. Stems elongated. SYN. bartramia gracilis. ..."
2. Botanical Miscellany: Containing Figures and Descriptions of Such Plants as by William Jackson Hooker (1830)
"That author suspects that the bartramia gigantea of ... it may be distinguished by its habit; and in that it is more nearly allied to the bartramia;. Fig. ..."
3. Supplement to the English Botany of the Late Sir J. E. Smith and Mr. Sowerby by Sir William Jackson Hooker, James Sowerby, William Borrer, John William Salter (1849)
"These are the only stations at present known ; but they suffice to show that it is not, as has been thought, a starved state of bartramia fontana, ..."
4. Hooker's Journal of Botany and Kew Garden Miscellany by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1857)
"(allied to B. arcuata).—HAB. Mont. Nilgiri, G. Thomson. 592. bartramia ... HAB. Sikkim-Himalaya temperata, alt. 9000 ped., JD II. 585. bartramia ..."