2. Noun. A boater (gloss someone who travels by boat) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Boatie
1. a boating enthusiast [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Boatie Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Boatie
boatie (current term)
Literary usage of Boatie
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Songs of Three Centuries by John Greenleaf Whittier (1890)
"The boatie rows, the boatie rows, The boatie rows indeed; And weel may the boatie row That wins the bairnies' bread. And fishes I catched nine; ..."
2. The fireside encyclopaedia of poetry: Comprising the best poems of the most by Henry Troth Coates, Rea (1881)
"OH, weel may the boatie row, And better may she speed ! ... The boatie rows, the boatie rows, The boatie rows indeed ; And happy be the lot of a' That ..."
3. The Poets and Poetry of Scotland: From the Earliest to the Present Time by James Grant Wilson (1876)
"0 WEEL MAY THE boatie ROW. 0 wecl may the boatie row. And better may she s[>ecd.' Anil weel may the boatie row, That wins the bairns' broad' The boatie rows ..."
4. The Scottish Songs by Robert Chambers (1829)
"The boatie rows, the boatie rows, The boatie rows fu' weel; And muckle lighter is the lade, When love bears up the creel. ..."