Definition of Bombus
1. Noun. Bumblebees.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Apidae, Family Apidae
Member holonyms: Bumblebee, Humblebee
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bombus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bombus
Literary usage of Bombus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1915)
"bombus pennsylvanicus Geer. Fargo, No. Dakota, one queen and three workers (OA ... bombus sonorus Say. A queen without label, said, apparently on good ..."
2. Catalogue of Hymenopterous Insects in the Collection of the British Museum by Frederick Smith (1853)
"bombus RUBICUNDUS. Female. Length 9 lines.—Black ; the face clothed with ... bombus FUNEBRIS. BM Female. Length 8 lines.—Black; the pubescence on the head ..."
3. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1893)
"bombus pomorum and lapidarias.—In November, 1889, I recorded in this Magazine a capture by myself at Beachy Head of bombus pomorum Ç . Last year at Hastings ..."
4. The Naturalist's Library edited by William Jardine (1840)
"Found occasionally in the south of England ; the male more frequently than the female. bombus GRANDIS. PLATE XVII. Fig. 2. ..."
5. Catalogue of British Hymenoptera in the Collection of the British Museum by Frederick Smith (1855)
"Ap. Angl. ii. 367. 107 ? , and Cab. Ent. Soc. bombus ... 115. 9. Smith, Zool. ii. 550. 15. Nyland. Ap. Boreal. 238. 26. bombus ..."