Definition of Bonasa umbellus
1. Noun. Valued as a game bird in eastern United States and Canada.
Generic synonyms: Grouse
Group relationships: Bonasa, Genus Bonasa
Bonasa Umbellus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Bonasa Umbellus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Bonasa Umbellus
Literary usage of Bonasa umbellus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"bonasa umbellus ... south to eastern Kansas, northern Arkansas, Tennessee, and Virginia, and in the Alleghenies to northern Georgia. b. bonasa umbellus ..."
2. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1876)
"This project is now indefinitely postponed and the Nova Scotia Grouse may be known as:— bonasa umbellus thayeri ' subsp. nov. Type, from Digby, Nova Scotia, ..."
3. American Game-bird Shooting by George Bird Grinnell (1910)
"RUFFED GROUSE—PARTRIDGE. bonasa umbellus. bonasa umbellus togata ... Of these four forms, the typical species (bonasa umbellus) inhabits the eastern United ..."
4. Hopkins's Pond and Other Sketches by Robert Tuttle Morris (1896)
"bonasa umbellus, REX. KING by courtesy of all game birds and subject to no authority whatsoever is the proud ruffed grouse of our North American forest. ..."
5. History of the Expedition Under the Command of Lewis and Clark: To the by Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Elliott Coues, Thomas Jefferson (1893)
"The small brown pheasant [Oregon or red ruffed grouse, bonasa umbellus fuscus"] is an inhabitant of the same country, and is of the same size and shape as ..."