Definition of Brisbane
1. Noun. Capital and largest city of Queensland state; located in the southeastern corner of Queensland on the Pacific; settled by British as a penal colony; 3rd largest city in Australia.
Definition of Brisbane
1. Proper noun. Large city and State capital of Queensland (Australia). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Brisbane Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Brisbane
Literary usage of Brisbane
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1886)
"brisbane, on the contrary, unwisely threw all power into the hands of the immigrants, many of whom were mere adventurers. He found a colony of 23000 ..."
2. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"brisbane, ARCHDIOCESE OF, comprises that part of the State of Queensland, Australia, which lies south brisbane at the census of 1901 (metropolitan area) wa> ..."
3. A New General Biographical Dictionary by Hugh James Rose (1848)
"Charles was the fourth, but eldest surviving son of the late admiral John brisbane, who died at Southampton, Dec. 10,1807. At an early age, ..."
4. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Superior Courts of Law in the by Elihu Hall Bay (1811)
"ROGER SMITH against MARY brisbane, Executrix of Columbia, ADAM F. brisbane. ... betveen Fowler brisbane, executor of William brisbane, deceased, record, ..."
5. Catalogue of the Library of the Institution of Civil Engineers by Benjamin Lewis Vulliamy, Latham Bradley (1895)
"Diagram of Rainfall at brisbane, from 1st January, District of brisbane. ... Report of the Hydraulic Engineer on purifying the Water of brisbane. ..."
6. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Superior Courts of Law in the by Elihu Hall Bay, South Carolina Constitutional Court of Appeals (1811)
"ROGER SMITH against MARY brisbane, Executrix of Columbia, - ADAM F. brisbane. 180*' UPON sci. fa. to revive judgment in Kershaw dis- Amendment trict ..."