Definition of Brodiaea
1. Noun. Any of several plants of the genus Brodiaea having basal grasslike leaves and globose flower heads on leafless stems resembling those of genus Allium.
Group relationships: Genus Brodiaea
Specialized synonyms: Brodiaea Elegans, Elegant Brodiaea
Lexicographical Neighbors of Brodiaea
brodiaea (current term)
Literary usage of Brodiaea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Luther Burbank: His Methods and Discoveries and Their Practical Application by Luther Burbank, John Whitson, Robert John, Henry Smith Williams, Luther Burbank Society (1914)
"Some rather notable first steps in this direction have already been taken. It will be seen that the brodiaea has an interesting, even if not a very ..."
2. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science by Indiana Academy of Science (1922)
"In order that this search Alight be as complete as possible, all the species represented in the Arthur herbarium, which occur on brodiaea, were examined, ..."
3. Luther Burbank: His Methods and Discoveries and Their Practical Application by Luther Burbank, John Whitson, Robert John, Henry Smith Williams, Luther Burbank Society (1914)
"I have worked on the brodiaea lactea to increase the size of the bulbs. ... In developing the brodiaea for this purpose, it would be well to search ..."
4. California Plants in Their Homes: A Botanical Reader for Children by Alice Merritt Davidson (1898)
"Two functions of the appendages of the cluster lily, or brodiaea, ... The opening buds of the brodiaea seem to me to contain even more honey than the ..."
5. The English Flower Garden: Design, Arrangement and Plans Followed by a by William Robinson (1895)
"brodiaea.—A charming family of North American liliaceous plants. The late Professor Sereno Watson recognises fifteen species in his Revision of the . ..."
6. Flora of the Rocky Mountains and Adjacent Plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming by Per Axel Rydberg (1917)
"brodiaea láctea S. Wats. Moist rich soil: BC—Ida.—Nev.—Calif. ... brodiaea Douglasii S. Wats. Rich soil: BC— Mont.—Wyo.—Utah—Ore. ..."