Definition of Brush
1. Noun. A dense growth of bushes.
Generic synonyms: Botany, Flora, Vegetation
Specialized synonyms: Brake, Canebrake, Spinney, Underbrush, Undergrowth, Underwood
Derivative terms: Brushy
2. Verb. Rub with a brush, or as if with a brush. "Johnson brushed the hairs from his jacket"
3. Noun. An implement that has hairs or bristles firmly set into a handle.
Terms within: Bristle, Grip, Handgrip, Handle, Hold
Generic synonyms: Implement
4. Verb. Touch lightly and briefly. "He brushed the wall lightly"
5. Noun. Momentary contact.
6. Verb. Clean with a brush. "They brush the cape "; "She brushed the suit before hanging it back into the closet"
7. Noun. Conducts current between rotating and stationary parts of a generator or motor.
8. Verb. Sweep across or over. "A gasp swept cross the audience"
9. Noun. A bushy tail or part of a bushy tail (especially of the fox).
10. Verb. Remove with or as if with a brush. "Brush aside the objections"
11. Noun. A minor short-term fight.
Specialized synonyms: Contretemps
Generic synonyms: Combat, Fight, Fighting, Scrap
Derivative terms: Encounter, Skirmish
12. Verb. Cover by brushing. "They brush the bread with melted butter"; "Brush the bread with melted butter"
13. Noun. The act of brushing your teeth. "The dentist recommended two brushes a day"
14. Noun. The act of brushing your hair. "He gave his hair a quick brush"
15. Noun. Contact with something dangerous or undesirable. "He tried to avoid any brushes with the police"
Definition of Brush
1. n. An instrument composed of bristles, or other like material, set in a suitable back or handle, as of wood, bone, or ivory, and used for various purposes, as in removing dust from clothes, laying on colors, etc. Brushes have different shapes and names according to their use; as, clothes brush, paint brush, tooth brush, etc.
2. v. t. To apply a brush to, according to its particular use; to rub, smooth, clean, paint, etc., with a brush.
3. v. i. To move nimbly in haste; to move so lightly as scarcely to be perceived; as, to brush by.
4. n. In Australia, a dense growth of vegetation in good soil, including shrubs and trees, mostly small.
Definition of Brush
1. Noun. An implement consisting of multiple more or less flexible bristles or other filaments attached to a handle, used for any of various purposes including cleaning, painting, and arranging hair. ¹
2. Noun. A piece of conductive material, usually carbon, serving to maintain electrical contact between the stationary and rotating parts of a machine. ¹
3. Noun. The act of brushing something. ¹
4. Noun. Wild vegetation, generally larger than grass but smaller than trees. ¹
5. Noun. A short and sometimes occasional encounter or experience. ¹
6. Noun. The furry tail of an animal, especially of a fox. ¹
7. Noun. (music) An instrument, resembling a brush, used to produce a soft sound from drums or cymbals. ¹
8. Noun. (video games) In 3D video games, a convex polyhedron, especially one that defines structure of the play area. ¹
9. Noun. (context: poker slang) The floorperson of a poker room, usually in a casino. ¹
10. Noun. (North Wisconsin, uncountable) Evergreen boughs, especially balsam, locally cut and baled for export, usually for use in wreathmaking. ¹
11. Verb. To clean with a brush. ¹
12. Verb. To untangle or arrange with a brush. ¹
13. Verb. To apply with a brush. ¹
14. Verb. To remove with a sweeping motion. ¹
15. Verb. To touch with a sweeping motion. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Brush
1. to touch lightly [v -ED, -ING, -ES]
Medical Definition of Brush
1. An instrument composed of bristles, or other like material, set in a suitable back or handle, as of wood, bone, or ivory, and used for various purposes, as in removing dust from clothes, laying on colours, etc. Brushes have different shapes and names according to their use; as, clothes brush, paint brush, tooth brush, etc.
2. The bushy tail of a fox.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Brush Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Brush
Literary usage of Brush
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by American Neurological Association, Philadelphia Neurological Society, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association, Boston Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (1913)
"Again he was asked if he was sure it was a clothes brush and he replied that ... The suggestion was then made, why didn't he use it as a clothes brush if it ..."
2. Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers by American Institute of Electrical Engineers (1913)
"By AIEE COMMUTATION AND brush LOSS BY CE WILSON Even when made on slip rings, or on special short-circuited commutators, brush loss tests are hard to ..."
3. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by Philadelphia Neurological Society, American Neurological Association, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association (1900)
"As I have employed it, brush massaging consists in kneading all accessible ... The brush is kept in contact with the skin and manipulated with a combined ..."
4. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Judicature by William Johnson (1860)
"Afterwards, brush, the defendant, said that he had purchased the ... The witness and Sleight were in negotiation for the sale of the premises to brush, ..."
5. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1888)
"the streets of the said City of Montgomery with the brush electric light after the expiration of their present contract with said Pollak & Co., ..."
6. The Engineering Index Annual for by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1909)
"brush Holders DYNAMOS AND MOTORS de Charbon pour Dynamos). The results of an elaborate ... 90763 A. brush Holders. New Carbon brush Gear for Turbo- Dynamos. ..."
7. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by The American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1905)
"MATTRESS brush Used fur mattresses in all the best hospitals in the ... RADIATOR brush FLOOR brush Made in the very best quality of mule hair to be had. ..."