Definition of Burlington
1. Noun. The largest city in Vermont; located in northwestern Vermont on Lake Champlain; site of the University of Vermont.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center
Group relationships: Green Mountain State, Vermont, Vt
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Burlington Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Burlington
Literary usage of Burlington
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Books Relating to America, from Its Discovery to the Present by Joseph Sabin, Wilberforce Eames, Bibliographical Society of America, Robert William Glenroie Vail (1873)
"The Oration at burlington College, on the Seventy Sixth Anniversary of American ... Organizations Dangerous to Free Institutions : The Address at burlington ..."
2. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1890)
"That the master of the burlington, having sought and gained shelter from the southwest wind on the east side of Pt. Pelee Island, which offered him a safe ..."
3. Bulletin by Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey (1921)
"A small saw mill and a grist mill were quickly erected, and in 1838 a lime kiln was started. The first woolen mill in Racine County was built at burlington ..."
4. Historical Collections of the State of New Jersey: Containing a General by John Warner Barber, Henry Howe (1846)
"A beach or place of swans, from the number which re- sorted there. burlington City.—Heckewelder raid the Indians called this place ..."
5. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1916)
"The Alton company was not thus associated with the burlington company, ... But it was insisted that the burlington company • was a*joint tort feasor with ..."
6. The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the by James Terry White (1910)
"After acting as clerk in a store until 1859 he went to burlington, la., and took a minor position in the office of Charles R. Lowell, assistant treasurer of ..."