Definition of California sage
1. Noun. Low ashy-grey California shrub.
Group relationships: Genus Artemisia
Generic synonyms: Sage Brush, Sagebrush
California Sage Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: California Sage Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of California Sage
Literary usage of California sage
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1876)
"The Black-chinned Sparrow was also an inhabitant exclusively of the sage belt, along with the Brewer and california sage Sparrows, but in not nearly so ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"RANGE.— West coast of Lower California from Santo Domingo to Ballenas Bay. c. Amphispiza nevadensis cane'scens GRINNELL. california sage Sparrow. ..."
3. Western Birds by Harriet Williams Myers (1922)
"In the Owens Valley and adjacent areas in eastern California and extreme western Nevada is found the california sage Sparrow (Amphispiza nevadensis ..."
4. A Manual of Weeds: With Descriptions of All the Most Pernicious and by Ada Eljiva Georgia (1914)
"Range: Nebraska to Colorado, Utah, and California, Sage. northward to Montana and British Columbia. Habitat: Dry plains and foothills. ..."
5. Birds of California: An Introduction to More Than Three Hundred Common Birds by Irene Grosvenor Wheelock (1903)
"california sage SPARROW. Amphispiza nevadensis canescens. Desert region of southeastern part ol State. 581 d (part). MENDOCINO SONG SPARROW. ..."