Definition of Callophis
1. Noun. Asian coral snakes.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Elapidae, Family Elapidae
Member holonyms: Asian Coral Snake
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Callophis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Callophis
Literary usage of Callophis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1869)
"He found them first in callophis intestinalis, Laur. (Elaps furcatus, Schneid.), whilst engaged in an investigation of the position of the ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1901)
"callophis.—With only thirteen rows of smooth scales. The head is small, not distinct from the neck. The small eye has a round pupil. ..."
3. Darwinism: An Exposition of the Theory of Natural Selection, with Some of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1891)
"... while some species of the genus callophis (belonging to the same family as the American Elaps) have large poison fangs, other species of the same genus ..."
4. The Nineteenth Century (1889)
"callophis.—This genus has several species in different parts of India, which are all more or less brilliantly coloured. They are not •aggressive, ..."