Definition of Calvatia
1. Noun. Genus of puffballs having outer casings whose upper parts break at maturity into angular pieces to expose the spores.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Group relationships: Family Lycoperdaceae, Lycoperdaceae
Member holonyms: Calvatia Gigantea, Giant Puffball
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Calvatia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Calvatia
Literary usage of Calvatia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Mushroom Book: A Popular Guide to the Identification and Study of Our by Nina Lovering Marshall (1904)
"calvatia maxima has been known as Lycoperdon giganteum, ... It has been transferred from the genus Lycoperdon to the genus calvatia because it ruptures the ..."
2. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1922)
"Of these, the giant puffball, calvatia gigantea, is the largest and best known as it often measures twelve to eighteen inches in diameter. ..."
3. A Text-book of Mycology and Plant Pathology by John William Harshberger (1917)
"The largest puff-balls are included in the genus calvatia (Fig. ... calvatia cyathiformis (Fig. 96) which is edible, if eaten when white inside, ..."
4. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Plant Industry (1905)
"calvatia rubro-flava. Practically the same as in the other species of this genus, but spreads somewhat more slowly on soil. 9. ..."
5. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1917)
"Agaricus campestris (common mushroom). calvatia and Lycoperdon (puff balls). Boletus scaber. Boletus edulis. Boletus granulatus. 6. ..."