Definition of Capra hircus
1. Noun. Any of various breeds of goat raised for milk or meat or wool.
Generic synonyms: Caprine Animal, Goat
Specialized synonyms: Cashmere Goat, Kashmir Goat, Angora, Angora Goat
Lexicographical Neighbors of Capra Hircus
Literary usage of Capra hircus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Natural History of New York by New York (State). Natural History Survey, James Ellsworth De Kay (1842)
"this family in the United States, and, with the exception of two introduced species, none within the limits of this State. The common goat (capra hircus) ..."
2. Catalogue of Ruminant Mammalia: (Pecora, Linnæus) in the British Museum by John Edward Gray (1872)
"1-3 (skull and horns, as capra hircus). ... Hob. Domesticated. Europe ? Var. Domestic. capra hircus, Blasius ..."
3. The Entertaining Naturalist: Being Popular Descriptions, Tales, and by Loudon (Jane) (1850)
"(capra hircus.) THE Goat, next to the cow and the sheep, has been always reckoned, especially in ancient and patriarchal times, the most useful domestic ..."
4. Catalogue of the Hunterian Collection in the Museum of the Royal College of by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons in London (1831)
"Chevre—Buff:} 1024. The skeleton of the Nepaul Goat. capra hircus ... capra hircus Quadricornis. 1026. The horns of the Angora, or Shawl Goat. ..."