Definition of Car wheel
1. Noun. A wheel that has a tire and rim and hubcap; used to propel the car.
Terms within: Hub, Hubcap, Pneumatic Tire, Pneumatic Tyre
Group relationships: Automotive Vehicle, Motor Vehicle
Generic synonyms: Wheel
Definition of Car wheel
1. Noun. A type of wheel designed for use on cars. ¹
2. Noun. A flanged wheel of a railway car or truck. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Car Wheel Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Car Wheel Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Car Wheel
Literary usage of Car wheel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Engineering Index Annual for by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1909)
"The car wheel and Its Relation to the Rail and Car. SP Bush. ... The car wheel. George L. Fowler. Gives an illustrated account of investigations made under ..."
2. Transactions by Michigan State Medical Society (1903)
"METALLOGRAPHY IN car wheel MANUFACTURE. The Iron Age, February 20. Mr. AW Whitney discusses the recent articles which have appeared on the car wheel, ..."
3. The Car-builder's Dictionary: An Illustrated Vocabulary of Terms which ...by Master Car-Builders' Association, Matthias Nace Forney, Arthur Mellen Wellington, Leander Garey, Calvin A. Smith by Master Car-Builders' Association, Matthias Nace Forney, Arthur Mellen Wellington, Leander Garey, Calvin A. Smith (1906)
"The projecting edge or rim on the periphery of a car wheel for keeping it on the rail ... That part of a plate car wheel which connects the rim and the hub. ..."
4. Directory of Iron and Steel Works of the United States and Canada by American Iron and Steel Association, American Iron and Steel Institute (1894)
"Miltimore Elastic Steel car wheel Company, Arlington. Product, steel wheels. ... Swett car wheel and Foundry Company, Chelsea. Product, cast iron wheels. ..."
5. Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary: A Description of Tools, Instruments by Edward Henry Knight (1876)
"CAR-WHEEL FURNACE. the ... is tightly pressed in as 14 is a car-wheel constructed iii two ... load borne on each car-wheel to be ..."
6. Car Builders' Cyclopedia of American Practice by American Railway Association, Master Car Builders' Association, Mechanical Division, Association of American Railroads (1903)
"That part of a plate car wheel which connects the rim and the hub. ... The outer surface or part of a car wheel which bears on the rails. ..."