Definition of Carya
1. Noun. Genus of large deciduous nut-bearing trees; United States and China.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Juglandaceae, Juglandaceae, Walnut Family
Member holonyms: Hickory, Hickory Tree, Bitter Pecan, Carya Aquatica, Water Bitternut, Water Hickory, Black Hickory, Brown Hickory, Carya Glabra, Pignut, Pignut Hickory, Bitter Hickory, Bitter Pignut, Bitternut, Bitternut Hickory, Carya Cordiformis, Swamp Hickory, Carya Illinoensis, Carya Illinoinsis, Pecan, Pecan Tree, Big Shagbark, Big Shellbark, Big Shellbark Hickory, Carya Laciniosa, King Nut, King Nut Hickory, Carya Myristicaeformis, Carya Myristiciformis, Nutmeg Hickory, Carya Ovata, Shagbark, Shagbark Hickory, Shellbark, Shellbark Hickory, Big-bud Hickory, Black Hickory, Carya Tomentosa, Mockernut, Mockernut Hickory, White-heart Hickory
Lexicographical Neighbors of Carya
Literary usage of Carya
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1897)
"1, however, believe this species (which in future must be known as perdita, A. & S.) to be congeneric with the carya of Fitch. I have specimens of carya ..."
2. The MAGAZINE of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and (1856)
"Of all the species just enumerated, the Shellbark (carya alba) is the most ... The Pignut (carya porcina) differs from the former species by its bark, ..."
3. The Microscopy of Vegetable Foods: With Special Reference to the Detection by Andrew Lincoln Winton, Josef Moeller (1906)
"The structure of the two is practically the same. PECAN NUT. One of the most valuable native nuts of the United States, is the pecan nut (carya ..."
4. Pennsylvania Trees by Joseph Simon Illick, Pennsylvania Dept. of Forestry (1914)
"FORK—In general it Is the same as the Shell-bark (carya ovata) except ... BAKK—Same as Shell-bark Hickory (carya ovata) or probably somewhat less shaggy. ..."