Definition of Caviidae
1. Noun. A family of Hystricomorpha.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Hystricomorpha, Suborder Hystricomorpha
Member holonyms: Cavia, Genus Cavia, Dolichotis, Genus Dolichotis
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Caviidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Caviidae
Literary usage of Caviidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Morphology by Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology (1889)
"caviidae. In conclusion I will say that it is satisfactorily proven to my mind that nearly all of the peculiarities of the rodent dental system and manner ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"In the family caviidae, typified by the cavics (or guinea-pigs), may be included a laree number ... The caviidae, in the present more comprehensive sense, ..."
3. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1894)
"In the caviidae it is present and runs to the second (internal) toe ; it is bound down to the inner side of the base of the innermost ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1905)
"Neither of the parents had such a digit, nor had I ever heard of the existence of such a character before, either in any of the wild caviidae, ..."