Definition of Ceratopteris
1. Noun. Water ferns.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Parkeriaceae, Parkeriaceae
Member holonyms: Ceratopteris Pteridioides, Floating Fern, Water Sprite, Ceratopteris Thalictroides, Floating Fern
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ceratopteris
Literary usage of Ceratopteris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Eberhard Goebel (1905)
"ceratopteris. The most striking example is ceratopteris, in which all stages occur, ... Besides ceratopteris, on account of its rich asexual propagation, ..."
2. Species Filicum: Being Descriptions of the Known Ferns, Particularly of Such by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1858)
"... Kaulf.," but this bears date 1827. I am therefore still bound, under correction, to consider ceratopteris as the oldest name. ..."
3. Index Filicum: a Synopsis, with Characters, of the Genera, Extensively by Thomas Moore (1861)
"MS. in Hb. ceratopteris cornuta, Lepr. Ann. Sc. Nat. 1 ser. six. 99, t. 4. ... ceratopteris Parkeri, J. Sm. Hook. Journ. Sot. iv. 70 ; Id. Sot. ..."
4. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1899)
"founded the genus ceratopteris (186) with two species (i) ceratopteris thalictroides founded on Pteris thalictroides Sw. ((a) ..."
5. Botanical Gazette by University of Chicago, JSTOR (Organization) (1902)
"Miss Ford considers ceratopteris to be closely allied to the ... "The anatomy of ceratopteris thalictroides (L.), Annals of Botany 16:95-121. pi. 6. ..."