Definition of Cercopithecus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Cercopithecidae: guenons.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Cercopithecidae, Family Cercopithecidae
Member holonyms: Guenon, Guenon Monkey
Medical Definition of Cercopithecus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cercopithecus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cercopithecus
Literary usage of Cercopithecus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1903)
"cercopithecus (67). A young animal. The left parietal is divided by a complete ... Maggi's Cases: A cercopithecus patas (63) shows a bilateral incomplete ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"XIV, 37; Fred. Cuv. 19. (The Green Monkey.)(2) It^greenish above, whitish beneath; face (1) cercopithecus, ie tailed monkey, a name used by the Greeks. ..."
3. A Hand-book to the Primates by Henry Ogg Forbes (1897)
"Habits—This species was found living in the woods on the coast in small troops of from five to six in number. THE GUENONS. GENUS cercopithecus. ..."
4. Essays and Observations on Natural History, Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology by John Hunter, Richard Owen (1861)
"No valvulae conniventes. The pancreas much as in the human. The uterus, &c. lay in the pelvis, like a child's. [THE GREEN MONKEY (cercopithecus ..."