Definition of Check up on
1. Verb. Examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition. "They won't check up on the story "; "Check out the engine"
Generic synonyms: Analyse, Analyze, Canvas, Canvass, Examine, Study
Related verbs: Check, Check Off, Mark, Mark Off, Tick, Tick Off
Specialized synonyms: Follow, Keep An Eye On, Observe, Watch, Watch Over
Derivative terms: Check, Check, Checker, Checkout
Lexicographical Neighbors of Check Up On
Literary usage of Check up on
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage by Inc. Merriam-Webster (1994)
"Check up followed by a clause appears to be British; check up on is predominantly American: Check up that the child has the means of obtaining any materials ..."
2. Batterer Intervention: Program Approaches & Criminal Justice Strategies by Christine Smith, Kerry Healey, Chris O'Sullivan (1999)
"... such as: "I will not ask jealous questions of my partner when she gets home late," or "I will not call to check up on my partner while she is at work. ..."
3. Publication of the American Sociological Society by American Sociological Association (1918)
"The final interview is usually a part of the specific and pointed check-up on all of the data of each case, according to the recommendations made in ..."
4. Shipping Board Operations by United States Congress. House. Select committee on U. S. Shipping board operations (1920)
"Is there no check up on the pay rolls that would catch that? Mr. CASH. Certainly. He is on the job there and is supposed to check the pay rolls and OK them, ..."
5. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association by American Veterinary Medical Association. (1917)
"... can check up on him. He might announce a result, and afterwards we might find it wrong. These tilings are possible in all elections, ..."