Definition of Checkered lily
1. Noun. Any liliaceous plant of the genus Fritillaria having nodding variously colored flowers.
Group relationships: Fritillaria, Genus Fritillaria
Specialized synonyms: Fritillaria Affinis, Fritillaria Lanceolata, Fritillaria Mutica, Mission Bells, Rice-grain Fritillary, Black Fritillary, Fritillaria Biflora, Mission Bells, Fritillaria Agrestis, Stink Bell, Crown Imperial, Fritillaria Imperialis, Fritillaria Liliaceae, White Fritillary, Checkered Daffodil, Fritillaria Meleagris, Guinea-hen Flower, Leper Lily, Snake's Head Fritillary, Brown Bells, Fritillaria Micrantha, Fritillaria Parviflora, Adobe Lily, Fritillaria Pluriflora, Pink Fritillary, Fritillaria Recurva, Scarlet Fritillary
Generic synonyms: Bulbous Plant
Checkered Lily Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Checkered Lily Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Checkered Lily
Literary usage of Checkered lily
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"F. Meleagris, the most popular of the purple kinds, is the common Snake's Head or checkered lily, so culled from the tessellation of purple and green, ..."
2. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1915)
"checkered lily. SNAKE'S- HEAD. Figs. 1580-1582. St. 1 ft. or more high: Ivs. .... Strange form of doubling in the checkered lily, pictured as early as 1613. ..."
3. Our Garden Flowers: A Popular Study of Their Native Lands, Their Life by Harriet Louise Keeler (1910)
"31 checkered lily, Flowers of, . 33 Crown Imperial, Flowering Stem of 35 Scilla, Entire Plant of ... 36 Grape Hyacinth, Plants of . 39 Hyacinth, Plant of . ..."
4. Bulbs and Tuberous-rooted Plants: Their History, Description, Methods of by Charles Linnaeus Allen (1912)
"FLEUR DE LIS AND FLOWER DE LUCE. See Iris. FRENCH TULIP. The popular name of Tulipa sylvestris. FRITILLARIA. Guinea-hen Flower. checkered lily. ..."
5. Magazine of Natural History edited by John Claudius Loudon, Edward Charlesworth, John Denson (1829)
"... common violet , pilewort , wood sorrel , dog's mercury , the gooseberry on the , Lombardy poplar , ash ; and checkered lily , and field turnip on the . ..."