Definition of Class angiospermae
1. Noun. Comprising flowering plants that produce seeds enclosed in an ovary; in some systems considered a class (Angiospermae) and in others a division (Magnoliophyta or Anthophyta).
Generic synonyms: Class
Group relationships: Division Spermatophyta, Spermatophyta
Member holonyms: Angiosperm, Flowering Plant, Class Dicotyledonae, Class Dicotyledones, Class Magnoliopsida, Dicotyledonae, Dicotyledones, Magnoliopsida, Class Liliopsida, Class Monocotyledonae, Class Monocotyledones, Liliopsida, Monocotyledonae, Monocotyledones, Angiospermous Tree, Flowering Tree, Flowering Shrub
Class Angiospermae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Class Angiospermae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Class Angiospermae
Literary usage of Class angiospermae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Flora of the Palouse Region: Containing Descriptions of All the by Charles Vancouver Piper, Rolla Kent Beattie (1901)
"Class ANGIOSPERMAE 1ll Cotyledon one: stem with no distinction into bark, wood and pith (endogenous): leaves usually parallel-veined: parts of the flower ..."
2. A Laboratory Manual in Elementary Biology: An Inductive Study in Animal and by Emanuel Roth Boyer (1894)
"Trillium is a representative of the Lily order, one of the lowest of the class Angiospermae. It is easily recognized by its naked "stem," from eight to ..."
3. Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden by New York Botanical Garden (1907)
"class angiospermae. subclass MONOCOTYLEDONAE. MONOCOTYLEDON gen. et sp. ? Plate LXX, Figs. 8-11. Description.—These fragments are evidently portions of some ..."
4. Laboratory Directions for Elementary Botany by James Barkley Pollock (1922)
"This is the condition in the class Angiospermae. The egg cell, on fertilization by a sperm from a pollen grain developes into an embryo or young sporophyte, ..."
5. A Laboratory Manual of High School Botany by Frederic Edward Clements, Irving Samuel Cutter (1900)
"... and sporophyte of the liverwort, Marchantia. (fs. 141, 142, p. 240; f. 143, p. 241; f. 144, p. 243.) class angiospermae SUBCLASS MONOCOTYLEDONEAE ORDER ..."