Definition of Clinton
1. Noun. Wife of President Clinton and later a woman member of the United States Senate (1947-).
2. Noun. 42nd President of the United States (1946-).
Generic synonyms: Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
3. Noun. United States politician who as governor of New York supported the project to build the Erie Canal (1769-1828).
4. Noun. A town in east central Iowa.
Definition of Clinton
1. Proper noun. (surname A=An Irish from=Irish dot=), the short form of McClinton ¹
2. Proper noun. (surname A=An English habitational from=Old English dot=) from either of several places named "Glinton" or "Glympton". ¹
3. Proper noun. (surnames male given name) transferred from the surnames, used since the 19th century. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Clinton
Literary usage of Clinton
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1887)
"In May 1729, Charles clinton, who was an elder and influential member of a presbyterian congregation, chartered a ship to convey a party of relatives and ..."
2. Bulletin by Thomas Corwin Mendenhall, Marcus Baker, Smithsonian Institution, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, United States Geographic Board (1890)
"1, 2, clinton. L. lanceolatum, page 369, PI. LXIII, Figs. 3-ao, clinton. ... The following species are also noticed, mostly from clinton, and many of them ..."
3. Bulletin by Ohio State Geologist, Ohio Division of Geological Survey (1910)
"The search for the clinton sand in Southern Ohio has been in progress twenty ... Many tests of the clinton sand have been made in this county with the hope ..."
4. Literary Criticism from the Elizabethan Dramatists by John Tucker Murray, David Klein, Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin, William Winter, Rosamond Gilder, Felix Emmanuel Schelling, William Dean Howells, Mary Findlater, Jane Helen Findlater, Allan McAulay, William Randolph Hearst (1910)
"As Edward clinton, Lord clinton, was Governor of Boulogne ... II The third clinton company appeared in the provinces from 1599 to 1608-9. ..."
5. The Works of Alexander Hamilton by Alexander Hamilton (1904)
"TO GOVERNOR GEORGE clinton * DEAR SIR: HEADQUARTERS, Feb. 13, 1778. ... I owe this and the other letters to be given subsequently from the clinton papers, ..."
6. The History of Tammany Hall by Gustavus Myers (1917)
"George clinton thought himself, on account of his age and long public service, ... He was too old, however, to carry on a contest, and De Witt clinton ..."
7. A History of the People of the United States: From the Revolution to the by John Bach McMaster (1895)
"DE WITT clinton. said the New York committee, is but one of our many objections ... This she has done in the person of DeWitt clinton. Should Mr. clinton be ..."