Definition of Colinus
1. Noun. New World quail: the bobwhites.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Phasianidae, Phasianidae
Member holonyms: Bobwhite, Bobwhite Quail, Partridge
Medical Definition of Colinus
1. A genus of birds (family phasianidae) consisting of the bobwhites. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colinus
Literary usage of Colinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1898)
"colinus virginianus in Peculiar Plumage. — A Bobwhite recently killed in the vicinity of Washington, and now in the possession of Mr. Blair Lee of this city ..."
2. American Game-bird Shooting by George Bird Grinnell (1910)
"colinus atriceps (Ogilvie-Grant). Black-headed bobwhite. ... colinus salvini (Nelson). Salvin's bobwhite. Coast plains of southern Chiapas, near Guatemalan ..."
3. Nests and Eggs of North American Birds by Oliver Davie (1900)
"Bendire in his great work: "Life Histories of North American Birds," says: "This slightly smaller and darker colored bird than colinus ..."
4. The Bird Book: Illustrating in Natural Colors More Than Seven Hundred North by Chester Albert Reed (1914)
"colinus virginianus virginianus. Range.—United States east of North Dakota ... colinus ridgwayi. Range.—Sonoran region of Mexico north to southern Arizona. ..."