Definition of Colombia
1. Noun. A republic in northwestern South America with a coastline on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea; achieved independence from Spain in 1821 under the leadership of Simon Bolivar; Spanish is the official language.
Geographical relationships: Eln, National Liberation Army, Farc, Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarios De Colombia, Revolutionary Armed Forces Of Colombia, Auc, Autodefensas Unidas De Colombia, United Self-defense Force Of Colombia, United Self-defense Group Of Colombia, Medellin Cartel, Cali Cartel
Group relationships: Oas, Organization Of American States
Generic synonyms: South American Country, South American Nation
Terms within: Barranquilla, Bogota, Capital Of Colombia, Cali, Medellin, Cartagena, Soledad, Galeras, Pasto, Purace, Andes, Arauca, Magdalena, Magdalena River, Orinoco, Orinoco River
Group relationships: South America
Member holonyms: Colombian
Derivative terms: Colombian
Definition of Colombia
1. Proper noun. Country in South America. Official name: Republic of Colombia. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Colombia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colombia
Literary usage of Colombia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1870)
"The most important subject in the history of colombia, during the year 1869, is the negotiations concerning tho construction of the Darien Canal. ..."
2. The Panama Canal by Frederic Jennings Haskin (1913)
"CHAPTER XIX CONTROVERSY WITH colombia SELDOM in the history of international relations has a controversy afforded more grounds for honest difference of ..."
3. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain) (1907)
"PRC ' The Republic of colombia.' By F. Loraine Petre. London : Stanford. 1906. ... Mr. Petre'« own travels in colombia have not broken fresh ground, ..."
4. Great Debates in American History: From the Debates in the British by United States Congress, Marion Mills Miller, Great Britain Parliament (1913)
"THE State Department, after finding upon investigation that the French company had a valid title, entered into negotiations with it and with colombia to ..."
5. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"Travels through the Mighty Kingdom of Peru (London, 1709); colombia: (lea- graphical Account of that Country (2 vou., London, ..."